[OM] Re: [OT] PSD & on the road storage, was: Re: Re: E-1 what's the fir

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] PSD & on the road storage, was: Re: Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:47:23 -0400

Peter Leyssens wrote:

>   The Vosonic looked okay until I found the Compact Drive PD70x, which
> retails for 220 euros in France and features under 2 minute copies of
> one gigabyte cards and up to 50 gigabytes copied and verified per
> battery charge.  No frills, just a copy and a verify of the data, on 4
> AA size NiMH rechargeables.
---------------------------------
I don't recall the details from your original post but it seems to me
that you were talking an extended trip of 3 weeks or so.  Just keep in
mind that a set of NiMH batteries can do a significant amount of
self-discharge in 3 weeks.  Make sure to take the charger with you or
else substitute several sets of AA alkaline or maybe some
non-rechargable lithium AA's.

Copying a GB in two minutes means running at 8.5 MB/sec.  My Sandisk
Ultra II will download at 8.5-9 MB/sec. but many cards won't be able to
approach that speed.

Chuck Norcutt