[OM] Re: [OT] PSD & on the road storage, was: Re: Re: E-1 what's the fi

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] PSD & on the road storage, was: Re: Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:06:32 -0500
At 10:06 PM 6/12/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Joel,
>
> >>and 3) I always travel extremely light.
> >
> > With lots of very light CF cards I hope.
>
>And very little cash :)  BTW, where I live, 2*512Mb is more expensive
>than a 1Gb card.  1Gb is cheapest now, it seems.  Because per Bill's
>advise to carry more smaller cards, it'll probably be 2*1Gb + the backup
>512'er I already have.

Well, by golly you're right!  Last time I checked (few weeks ago) I could
still beat the price of the cheapest 1 GB card with 2x 512 MB cards.  Now
I'm seeing even the 2 GB Kingston Elite Pro at NewEgg for $118 after
rebate, and the 512  and 1 GB cards are tied at price per MB.

> > In your situation, I think that I would experiment with the bracketing
> > feature.  I would still shoot RAW, but in your case, if you decide to go
> > with SHQ, you could shoot a round of brackets and then when you get into a
> > good environment to chimp (any caves?  just kidding), you could evaluate
> > the best one of the set, checking the histogram, mark it with the
> > protection button (right next to INFO) and then erase your card
> > periodically to regain the space.
>
>That sounds like a hassle, actually.  I'm looking into a PSD device now.
>   The Vosonic looked okay until I found the Compact Drive PD70x, which
>retails for 220 euros in France and features under 2 minute copies of
>one gigabyte cards and up to 50 gigabytes copied and verified per
>battery charge.  No frills, just a copy and a verify of the data, on 4
>AA size NiMH rechargeables.  Should be about 500 grams in weight.  There
>goes another change of clothes :)
>
>If I don't find alarming news about this gadget, it'll be ordered around
>the same time as my E-1, i.e. in about 3 weeks' time when it's a bit
>less busy.  Can't wait to send the orders out, though :)
>

>Peter.

OK, sounds like you've actually got more money than time or patience to
review and delete.  I do understand!

I've actually been thinking along the same lines as you because I've got
two trips by car to the western US this summer.  My method right now is to
do a quick review of exposure just before actually taking the critical
shot.  That works pretty well in conjunction with exp. comp settings.  But
it occurred to me that bracket sets would give me further assurance of a
fully successful exposure.  I will probably take a laptop along, but I
really don't want to spend a lot of time with the computer other than
clearing out the CF cards occasionally.

Joel W.