[OM] Re: When old is new again

Subject: [OM] Re: When old is new again
From: "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:03:24 -0400
Yes, I too like the old, manual flashes at times.  I had a 283 for years
and years and mistakenly sold it in a garage sale about 10 years ago
(pre-Ebay), along with a Vari-Power Module....big mistake.

I've got an FL-50, and it's nice, but it's WAY, WAY overpriced!  It does
communicate with the camera nicely though.

What I like more is my Metz 54MZ-3, which offers great controls on the back
for Auto, Manual, or TTL for an OM-2/4 or Leica M7.  I often use it in
manual mode if my subjects are static.  I've got a flash meter, and using
that, coupled with the very repeatable manual mode and a old Quantum 1
battery for fast recycle, produces great results.

I also use the Lumiquest Ultrabounce with both flashes a lot.  If the
ceiling is 12' or under, I much prefer the Lumiquest 80/20, which acts
almost like a bare bulb, IME.  Try one, they're really great for overall
lighting.

Oh, and I rarely use the FL-50's daylight flash, as the effective range,
much like the f280, is pretty limited.

If you want to read a GREAT, GREAT location flash article, surf over to
ShootSmarter at http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/jt023.htm and read
that series of articles.  IMO, many of the articles on that site are right
on the money, chocked with practical, useful information, not more
techno-babble or worthless, feature-list equipment reviews.

Skip