[OM] Re: various musings...

Subject: [OM] Re: various musings...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:05:49 -0700

Bob Whitmire wrote:

>I've been avoiding shooting at ISOs higher than 400 with my E-1, but last
>week decided to live dangerously.
>
>http://www.bobwhitmire.com/olympus.htm
>
>The goldfinch is at ISO 800, has been filtered with Neat Image and cropped
>to a fault, but the color is as-shot. Frankly, I think it's pretty damned
>good--the color, not the shot,

Bob, if your subject, "E-1 Color at ISO 800" was in response to AG's
post, you may have misread it. As I read it, it is the Can*n folks
saying they have trouble with color shift and softness at high isos, not
aimed at the E-1. Not to say that the color is your pretty shot isn't
good, it is, but I think it's pretty much given that The E-1 is one of
the best at color right out of the camera.

I don't understand the Can*n folks comments, though. This is a test I
did shortly after getting the 300D. It's before I got the patched
firmware, so no iso 3200. In any case, I didn't do anything to the color
at all in taking the samples. I did sharpen all the samples as the
camera wasn't set to sharpen much and some sharpening is needed at some
place in the process to get the detail in digital images
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Compar2FM1600sa.jpg>.

I'm not tring to say that the 300D is particularly good at color balance
or as good as the E-1, only that I've seen no problem with it changing
at higher isos. It is less noisy at 400 and above than the E-1, and I've
got lots of nice sharp shots at 800. Fewer at 1600, but that's because I
use it sparingly because of the noise. Here's a full pixel bird shot,
albeit perhaps less 'cute' than your warbler to some tastes. :-) In any
case with full pixel samples right out of the camera and with different
NeatImage settings. Clearly less noisy than yours at 800.

Moose