[OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:39:10 -0700
Bill, that just sux. Sorry to hear about it.

I've been struggling to develop a back-up system that is me-proof, and I
think I've pretty much got it. I'm on Macs, running OS X. I have a laptop at
home, networked computers at the office. I use a LaCie portable 80GB drive
as the main repository for images, and a program called Chronosync for the
me-proof part. The portable drive is tiny and light, and bus-powered, so
it's easy to take back and forth even on my bicycle. Here's a link to the
program:
<http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_overview.html>
You can set up syncs which can be triggered when you mount one or the other
target, or at predetermined times. I copy the CDs I get back from Ivey
Seright onto the portable as soon as I get them back, and put those CDs
away. If I add some images, next time I plug the drive in at home,
Chronosync starts up and copies the new files onto my laptop. If I modify
some images at home (working off the drive, always) when I bring the drive
back to the office Chronosync starts up and copies the modified files to a
mirror folder on my iMac G5. So I've always got three nearly identical
copies of the entire set of images, as well as the iView Media Pro catalog.
In addition, I do an automated incremental nightly backup (of every drive in
the office) with Retrospect to another external 120GB drive, which I dump
when it gets full. So the whole system requires _almost_ no involvement or
remembering on my part. That's a good thing. And since I'm about 80%
film/20% digital these days, I've still got the film to go back to in the
worst case. I probably ought to archive to double-sided DVD too. But this is
a pretty good start.

Good luck with the file recovery.

-Rob