[OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: This would never happen with your OM images
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:48:05 -0400
Watch the Sunday paper ads for Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. and
you can put together a large backup device for very little money.  I
recently bought two ATA to USB 2.0 external drive cases at CompUSA for
$30 each.  They're fairly well made and have small cooling fans.  At the
same time I managed to buy a Western Digital 160 GB drive for $40 after
rebates.  Today I bought a Seagate 160 GB drive at Best Buy for $50
after rebates.  Now I have two 160GB external drives for backup.

Note that these drives are ATA/EIDE drives which I think are about to be
displaced by newer technology called Serial ATA (SATA).  I bought two of
the ATA to USB cases.  If one of them fails 5 years from now I won't
likely be able to buy another.  However, since I have two of them I'll
use the other case to copy the data from both drives off to whatever
technology is then current.  The drives themselves should have a very
long life since they only need to be powered on when actually working.

Chuck Norcutt