[OM] Re: various musings...

Subject: [OM] Re: various musings...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:22:05 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

>Chuck wrote:
>

>>Shortly after buying Picture Window Pro I asked Jonathan Sachs
>>(the author)...
>>

>PWP does a pretty fine job of resizing, but I do find that it
>softens up the image quite a bit.  Countering this softening
>shows resizing artifacts, but not near as bad any other
>interpolator I've used.

The original way I learned was to resize in steps, with small amounts of
sharpening at each step. Certianly worked better in PS than straight
resizing in one step for me. But it's a big pain, as I found it hard to
find a general purpose set of steps and would spend time checking each step.

Then I got a new version of PS and tried Save for Web. Not only is it
not particularly good, but it loses the exif info. Now I've been pretty
happily using Fred Miranda WP Pro. It gives the choice of simple
stepwise downsizing or doing it with sharpening at each step.

My only real complaint is that his two shoices of sharpening are wrong.
High is too strong and even low is often too strong, depending on the
image. Some images are just right with no sharpening, some with low, and
some are inbetween. For those, I downsize twice, very quick and easy
with actions set up, with and without low sharpening. I then select the
whol sharpened one and drag it on top of the other, creating a new
layer. I then adjust the opacity of the top, sharpened layer to taste.
Works very well for me.

The other thing I have found is that some images just don't come out
right with any downsizing/sharpening combo. For some, I have found that
FM's Intellisharpen II, after downsizing, and with the right, modest,
settings, brings up that missing bit of sharpness without messing other
things up.

Moose