[OM] Re: OT: Anyone using a Olympus 2100UZ?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Anyone using a Olympus 2100UZ?
From: "Orin Keplinger" <orink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:39:36 -0500
I have two and bought three others for relatives when the price dropped to
$325. The stabilized zoom is the big plus. The color is fine and the menus
aren't too bad for Olympus. My son left his on a picnic table overnight in a
rain and I don't recommend it. The only feature that requires caution is the
plastic 1/4 inch tripod threaded bottom plate. My wife stripped my first
one. Use a card reader rather than the included transfer software. My 8x10s
look good ... but use the zoom to frame tightly. I take one everywhere.

If you have the money, a Panasonic FZ5 or FZ20 gives you a constant F2 at
all zoom levels lens, 5 meg images, and 12x zoom with stabilization
for$500 -$700 last time I checked. Since Olympus has dropped the ball with
no 2100 type update in sight, I am looking at the Panasonic for my next zoom
camera.

Both these cameras and the Oly 2100 have been reviewed at the major review
sites. There is an active 2100 Yahoo group. I bought a 1gig card to
thoroughly check out the Z5 at Circuit City and I found  the color to be
good, the menus easier than the 2100, and, since I do astronomy photos, I
liked the constant F2 zoom lens.

As Ever,
Orin Keplinger
orink@xxxxxxx