[OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive

Subject: [OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:54:43 -0700
This is what I meant about the process. Suppose you have made two
copies, I assume to back up the hard drive. Your hard drive fails
after 5 years. You pull out your back ups. First one may have failed
at 2 years and the second one at 4 years and you had no idea. And
maybe it would help to use disks by different makers or batches for
each of the copies.

The other thing I have heard is that people find the disk has not
just failed in spot, but is completely unreadable. Isn't it just a
phase difference being detected in a dye layer?  Probably keeping in
a cool, dark place helps, but it is chemistry, just like film. Then I
think the whole dye layer would go at once, not just in a particular
segment.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA