[OM] Re: Kodak doing away with Black and White Papers

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak doing away with Black and White Papers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:40:57 -0700
Andrew McPhee wrote:

>As much as I am trying to be optimistic, it's another brick in the
>crumbling wall of traditional b&w photography.

This could actually be a good occurance.

The future of B&W, and in the long run, all film, will be with small
manufacturers. By recognizing early that they can't make any money in
the B&W paper business and getting out, Kodak leaves it to smaller
firms. Much worse would be if the big, high volume maker decided to hang
on as long as possible, even taking considerable losses, to maintain a
legacy business. If they drive the small fry out of business before
giving it up themselves, they really make continuation by anyone else
difficult. By getting out early, they allow small firms to build on
their existing experience with lower volume production toward a much
smaller, but sustainable, market.

>I wonder how all this is going to pan out.

My guess is that B&W film from Kodak will go too, along with development
chemicals, but the slack should be taken up by smaller firms.

>How long will it be until Tri-X bites the dust?

Who knows? The question is whether someone else will get the trade
secrets so they can produce is in a low volume facility.

>My photographic pleasures are being forcefully taken away
>and it hurts.  A guy can't shoot if he ain't got no bullets.

There will still be bullets, but different ones from specialty makers.
The good news is that they will actually care what their customers want.

>For so many years I couldn't afford extra bodies or lenses, I've just spent
>the last year building up my Oly/Zuiko kit only to find it's fast becoming
>a collection of museum pieces.

Film, both B&W and color will be around for at least decades. The old
film business has been a huge one, and that will go by the wayside. A
new, much samller one will arise, and still be large enough to survive.

>I feel like I've arrived at the party just when everyone's going home...

I've always found that the best part. All the boors are gone and the
interesting folks hang around in the kitchen or a cozy corner and have
the real good time.

Moose