[OM] Re: OT Leica bins on the bay.....

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Leica bins on the bay.....
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:51:35 -0400
Andrew, you state the case quite eloquently.
 I agree that any business needs to cover the costs it incurs and is
certainly entitled to make a profit. In fact, those that do a lot of
shipping will find UPS, FedEx, etc. very anxious to set up discount programs
to reduce shipping cost based on volume. IOW, they pay a price lower than
the rest of us, significantly so as volume increases.
 My gripe is with what I see as a trend to turn shipping into a profit
center. High volume merchants certainly have overhead to factor into their
cost, but a lot of ebay sellers work out of the basement of their homes.
 There's another reason I don't do business with such sellers and it's based
on personal experience. This technique has been used for years by
unscrupulous merchants. Simply put, they advertise low prices to attract
calls/interest. Potential buyer responds, often encountering bait and switch
tactics. If that works and the respondent buys, high shipping costs are
charged. The, "Oh well, total cost is about the same" logic kicks in.
Incidentally, shipping costs are NOT refundable. Order is shipped and may
contain restocked or defective merchandise. When buyer attempts to make a
return, the merchant can agree and is liable for only the artificially
reduced cost of the product, but not for the inflated cost of shipping.
Bingo! Instant profit for the seller even when the sale goes bad. Buyer
gives up and returns product and is annoyed to discover that return shipping
costs a lot less than they were charged by the not so friendly seller.
 As I mentioned earlier, my personal response to this practice is to boycott
the practice and let 'em know I'm doing it.
 FWIW/ScottGee1