[OM] Re: OT Leica bins on the bay.....

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Leica bins on the bay.....
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:00:10 +1000
That's because we have a VAT/GST approach which I suspect the murkins
don't. Shipping is a 'service' and so taxable. Here, fortunately,
photo gear does not attract import duty (usually 5%) or I would have
to pay duty first on the value and then GST on the item, shipping AND
on the duty itself (and on the brokerage fee and on the charge for
'opening' an item with customs, even if they don't)! I really can't
see how duty is a 'service' to me.
Anyway, what the hell is the difference between a tax and an exise
dammit?!
AndrewF