[OM] Re: Zuikos used by digital C*nons

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikos used by digital C*nons
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:32:20 -0400
Jeff Keller wrote:

> The interesting "turn of events" is that momentum keeps building that
> Olympus was right about lens design for digital cameras but the most
> pressing limit on the E-System is the sensor which is somewhat in the hands
> of others(?). Will C*non get telecentric lenses before Olympus gets a
> superior sensor?
>
> It would sure get interesting if either N*kon on C*non came out with a four
> thirds system camera.
-----------------------------

Not necessary.  I think Canon is already there with their EF-S lenses.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page5.asp>
I think Nikon has them too but I don't know what the designation is.
Minolta will have two digital specific lenses for the 7D later this
year.  <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05031001konicaminolta_lenses.asp>

Canon had to modify the mirror and the mount so, so far, EF-S lenses can
only be used on the digital rebels (300 & 350) and the 20D.  Full frame
and earlier digitals won't be able to use these lenses.

As Oly noted, the mount diameter for digital specific lenses needs to be
large relative to the sensor.  Amazingly, that diameter turn out to be
about the same size as for 35mm lenses.  So the other guys can play the
same game without 4/3 sensors.

Chuck Norcutt