[OM] Re: Back and oops

Subject: [OM] Re: Back and oops
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:10:55 -0400

Andrew Dacey wrote:

> I got back from all this on May 19.
Welcome back

  At the moment I'm scanner-less
> though so I don't have any of the new stuff online at the moment. Now
> that I'm employed though a new film scanner is a planned purchase for
> the near future. I'll be sure to post to the list when I have material
> up.
My latest strategy is to send the film to a place (like Mpix.com) that
also gives me 2MP scans on a CD.  That eliminates almost all the
scanning since I then only have to do the few where I want a large
print.  Well worth the price to me not to scan a bunch of stuff.  I hate
scanning.  Ugh!

> The only casualty gear-wise was that I did have ocaision to test just
> how "splash proof" the Stylus Epic really is and it didn't quite pass
> the test. However, it did work up to about 20 frames  which I was able
> to recover. Since then it had some intermittent problems turning on
> for a short time and has since completely died. I'm debating if it's
> worthwhile to have it repaired. It's a great little camera but the
> cost might be too hgih for what it's worth. I'll try a fresh battery
> first just in case it was just that the battery shorted out and
> doesn't have charge anymore.
I'd be very surprised if your Epic couldn't pass the spash test.  As I
reported here several years ago mine ended up directly in the drink and
survived with no apparent harm.  Of course, it was powered off and the
lens door was closed so maybe that's a big difference.

Here's what happened.  It was in the early spring and not much above
freezing.  I think it must have been raining hard earlier since there
was lots of water rushing into the street from the adjacent hill.  It
was also carrying lots of leaves and other vegetable matter debris along
with it.

There is a sewer drain at the end of my driveway which clogged up with
leaves.  The water then formed a sort of whirlpool about 6" deep.  I
then walked out into the street to clear the debris out of the sewer
grate forgetting that I had my Stylus Epic (thanks, Gary Reese) in my
shirt pocket.  When I bent over to clear out the leaves the Epic fell
into the whirlpool and started swirling about.  I'm sure I managed to
retrieve it in 3-5 seconds but my heart stopped briefly.  First I was
concerned that it had been completely submerged for that time and
secondly, I realized while I was groping for it that, if it managed to
turn itself on end, it was small enough to fall through the grate.

After pulling it out of the drink I hustled it into the house and
wrapped it in a towel.  I then removed the battery (no water at all
inside the battery compartment) and opened the lens door.  There was one
large drop of water at the edge of the lens which quickly succumbed to
the wicking effect of a tissue.  I put the camera in a warm place for
several days and then replaced the battery.  Still works like new.  I
doubt that any water actually got inside the case.

Chuck Norcutt