[OM] Re: This will scare you

Subject: [OM] Re: This will scare you
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:29:10 +0100
On the subject of restricting what we can take pictures of, does anyone
know what those French have done recently in passing a new law to give
more rights to those whose picture is taken?

The way I had it explained to me was that a man of honourable an
upstanding character might, while indulging in a petit 'cinq a sept'
(an affair conducted in the hours where he can claim to have reason to
both leave work early and be home late), have his picture taken and
then find his game is up as the picture gets into the wrong hands. So
now you are meant to ask permission when taking photos of people. I was
also told that the subject has usage rights to the photographer's
images. The guy I was talking to told me he was recently trying to get
a blurred metro train shot and someone came up to him demanding to know
if he had been included in a picture, and had to be shown the lcd
playback to placate him.

Now this is hearsay, and sounds like heresy from the country that gave
us Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau and Lartigue. Would they be now consigned
to taking annual portraits of kids in school uniform? Can anyone give
us the facts on what's going on over there?

James