[OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #168

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #168
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:17:09 -0700

>Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:40:15 -0400
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikos used by digital C*nons
>
>Jeff Keller wrote:
>
>>  Suppose Olympus developed or bought an incredible sensor. Wouldn't that push
>>  even more consumers towards the four thirds system? On the other hand if
>>  C*non comes out with incredible digital specific lenses that could be pretty
>>  tough on the four thirds system. Seems they are in a race, maybe the winner
>>  doesn't take all but being first will make a difference.
>--------------------------------------
>
>Right now Canon is holding all the sensor cards with its CMOS designs.
>Probably a gutsy move on their part to go that way when the rest of the
>world develops CCD's.  Right now it's an advantage since Canon has the
>best technology and (as far as I know) they're not selling it to anyone
>else.  It could be a disadvantage tomorrow, however, if Kodak or Sony or
>someone out of left field suddenly develops a significantly better
>sensor.  Olympus could be flying high or in the dumps based on what
>their potential sensor suppliers are able to invent.
>
>Right now they're significantly behind in the noise department and they
>need a dramatically quieter sensor.  There was a rumor posted somewhere
>the other day that Kodak had made a major technology breakthrough  and
>that this technology would be applied to 4/3 sensors.  Kodak and Oly
>both need a breahtrough like this but I suspect it's nothing but rumor.
>
>As Moose is fond of saying, (and I'm paraphrasing him here) if you can
>make a sensor that has equivalent noise levels at 2 stops better than
>the other guy there's really no competitive need for image stabilization.
>
>Chuck Norcutt

I think Chuck has pretty well summed it up. The 4/3 sensor may have
seemed a good idea three years ago when Olympus adopted it, but right
now, with all the advancements that C*n*n have made with their 1X
,1.3X,  and 1.6X crop factor sensors, I can't see any compelling
reason for adopting 4/3" CCD based sensors at this time. C*n*n has
consistently demonstrated the ability to increase resoluton and
simultaneously decrease noise to an extent the Kodak/Oly 4/3 has
basically been left in the dust. Let's face it, I don't see a 16
megapixel 4/3 sensor with superior noise characteristics on the
horizon anytime soon.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!