[OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive

Subject: [OM] Re: Progress report on crashed hard drive
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:48:13 +0200
Le samedi 18 Juin 2005 14:20, Earl Dunbar a écrit :
> SOFTWARE-based mirroring is NOT a good way to go, as your example
> proves.  Mirroring needs to be implemented at the controller level, or
> better yet, dual controllers.  Mirrored RAID-5 would be very good.

That wouldn't help either in case of allocation table corruption. The solution
is hardware raid (0 or 5) [dual controller is better but wouldn't help in
case of motherboard failure, not much different from a single controller
failure : there's still a single point of failure in the chain], backed up on
good ol' magnetic tape on a day / week / month scheme basis (the day tape is
kept localy, the week tape is kept at home, and the month tape is in a bank
safe). THAT is pricey, but worth it. And don't forget the yearly regeneration
of all mediums, to keep up with technology : I still have perfect, 30 years
old, good 8" floppies, but if my last working drive gives up, they'll become
mute on the spot, forever.

--
Manuel Viet