[OM] Re: Winder 1 failures ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Winder 1 failures ?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:29:57 +0200
Le samedi 18 Juin 2005 23:52, Garry Lewis a écrit :
> >BTW, the winder came back to life as soon as I've brung a screwdriver near
> >it, so
> >maybe I'll wait a bit before getting that far inside. That's the fun part
> >of
> >OM gear : it suprficiously looks like it has a life on its own.
> >--
> >Manuel Viet
>
> Maybe I should go bang on my winder with a screwdriver!  ?:^)>

There's nothing to lose in trying ;-)

More seriously, digging into the documentation chuck sent to me (thx a lot,
chuck !), I noticed that corrosion of the battery pack terminals can be a
cause of such malfunctions, so I cleaned them with a white rubber eraser
(from the top of my pencil). Guess what ? the winder winds, at top speed just
like it used to. My guess is that nikel oxyde is resistant (and nearly
invisible, I saw it only with side lighting), and lowers the effective power
given to the motor, sometimes there's just not enough "juice" to feed it,
depending on where the terminals hit the collectors inside the body. I feel
better, and hope you'll sort your winder out to, cause it's just the right
thing to hold the tiny OM when you happen to have long fingers (as I do).
Plus being left eyed, without winder I poke my right eye everytime I use the
mechanical lever.

--
Manuel Viet