[OM] Re: K-M Dimage Scan Dual IV users here? or Scan Elite II

Subject: [OM] Re: K-M Dimage Scan Dual IV users here? or Scan Elite II
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:25:43 -0300
On 6/20/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For modest bulk scanning, you might consider the Epson 4870 & 4990 and
> the Canon 9950F. Reviews of all of them with direct comparisons to the
> Nikon 4000 are at photo-i <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/>. The Canon is
> particularly attractive for bulk scanning, as it will hold 12 slides or
> 5 strips of six frames each of unmounted film, 30 frames. The Epsons
> hold 8 slides and 4 strips. They really do come awfully close to film
> scanners for any but the most demanding, huge displays and have the
> advantage of scanning MF and 4x5 as well.

Thanks Moose,

I've had some concerns about the quality of flatbed scans for 35mm but
I know they have gotten a lot better. I didn't realise the 9950F had
such good bulk options so I'll take a look at that one. I notice that
Canon has completely dropped film scanners so they've either decided
that flatbeds have reached a high enough quality to compete or they
feel that film scanners are too small a market. I suspect the latter
but they probably say the former.

>From previous comparisons I've seen, flatbeds usually can't offer the
shadow detail that you can get with a dedicated film scanner but I'll
see how the 9950F reviews. I do have some MF stuff and would like to
shoot more as well as some 4x5 so having 1 scanner that can handle all
of those would be a big plus.