[OM] Re: Reasonable request

Subject: [OM] Re: Reasonable request
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:28:53 +0100
In my experience, the *problem* is that they learn to speak English fluently
as children, and do so without any problem at home, completely unaware that
their accent can be very difficult to assimilate for a
similarly-native-speaker somewhere else.  And then there is the problem of
awkward customers:

Help Desk "The engineer is not here sir, would you like me to ask him to
call you back?"

Me "Like you did every week for the past month, and I am still waiting?  No
thanks, I would sooner wait for it to snow in New Delhi"

Help Desk (Pause) "Could you repeat that, sir, I didn't catch what you said"

Me "I would sooner wait for it to snow in New Delhi"

Help Desk (Long pause) "I'm sorry, I don't think you understand, sir, we
very rarely have snow here in New Delhi..."

As to UK Broadband, we have BT as wholesaler to ISPs as well as retailer in
its own right and cable ISPs.  I suspect that from a technical standpoint
the BT offering is superior to cable, while from a customer service
standpoint some of the smaller ISPs are head-and-shoulders above the bigger
ISPs (as well as BT and the cable ISPs).  But none are state-owned.

--
Piers