[OM] Now that my winder is fixed... on to the 2n !

Subject: [OM] Now that my winder is fixed... on to the 2n !
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:07:38 +0200
While I'm in the process of improving the shape of my equipement, and after I
had here a much needed help with my winder, I'd like to have an advice about
a little (?) problem with my OM-2n. But first, let me sum up the way I bought
it. So, my trusty OM-1 had shown the symtoms of what I later found to be the
infamous "foam rot" syndrom. After googling, I understood what was going on,
and decided the best way to cure it was to change the pentaprism, so I went
on a tour of all the used gear resellers near my home, and finaly bought a
BER OM-2n which had obviously its mirror stuck upward, and the speed ring
selector locked solid on 'B' (impossible to move on another speed).

But before dismantling it, I googled another bit of info, located the B2 ball
(the one responsible for the 'click' when setting speed) on a diagram, and
tickled it through the opening of the mount with a needle. The ball moved
enough, the speed ring disengaged, the reset and a pair of battery did their
magic, and I was in possession of a fully working OM-2n for a price I won't
mention to avoid heart attacks among the weakest of the readers. As of my
OM-1, I finally decided I could live with the fine line remaining after the
cleaning of the foam, and I cleaned the 2n as well. All is well that ends
well ?

Well, not so-so, because time to time, the speed ring still locks, and more
generaly, it's much harder to move than on my 1. I'd love to open the mount
to get a look, but the body was tampered with before I got it, probably in a
desperate attempt to unlock it, so the top screw of the mount is badly
damaged, and some marks on the 'ears' of the speed ring induce me to think
that the previous owner even tried to force it with a tool after he failed to
open the mount. So I'm not inclined to add my own damages to this body, and
if possible would like to keep it assembled because 99% of the time, it just
works fine, and I'm mostly ready to live with it. Overall, the body is in bad
cosmetic condition, sold black but today mostly showing brass and little
enamel spots ;-) [a bit exagerated maybe...] ; my guess is that it received a
"professional care" during its lifetime, and perhaps the B2 ball itself is
worn out.

I was thinking of the possibility to put a lubricant right on the ball and the
inner part of the speed selector that move over it, drop by drop with a
needle just like I did previously to reach this part, in the hope to smooth
the movements. But before doing it, I'd like to have the opinion of more
experienced readers, as well as tips on the kind of lubricant (if any) to
use, because I'm well out of my field of expertise.

--
Manuel Viet