[OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible

Subject: [OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible
From: Peter Leyssens <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:42:35 +0200

> Just be grateful you don't live in the UK. Thanks to our
> revenue-obsessed government, this little island harbours 70% of the
> world's speed cameras. And as a result deaths on the roads are
> increasing.

I'll give you a story of Leuven, the city where I live, which should
provide all French list members with yet another true joke about Belgians.

The first idea was to get most traffic out of the city centre, onto the
ring road around it.  Lots of streets were converted to one way or
pedestrian only, pedestrian right of way and speed limits were severely
enforced.  The city is quite small, so just heading for the ring road
and driving half a tour isn't too much of a hassle.

Obviously, a couple of years later, people were complaining about
speeding on the ring road.  So, a battery of speed cameras were
installed.  Result ?  Everybody's back in the city with their cars !

I wish they would just make up their mind.  Like that one-way street
they just switched to be in the other direction.  Then, the parallel
street had to be redone, so now the one-way street is reverted again.
Reminds me of that story I once read in French of a roundabout with only
one way streets leading towards it.  ("But, but !  If I get sick ?" --
"You see ?  There's the ambulance driving around.  And if it gets worse,
there's the funeral services too !")

Peter.