[OM] Re: hudson valley OMers

Subject: [OM] Re: hudson valley OMers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:16:10 -0400
While I don't live there anymore, I used to live in Woodstock which is
about 20 miles north on the other side of the river.  In fact, it's
pretty much across the river from the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome which is a
must see: <http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/>

Some other favorite places for photos are:
West Point, not far to the south  <http://www.usma.edu/>
Olana, estate of artist Frederick Church <http://www.olana.org/>
The Vanderbilt mansion <http://www.nps.gov/vama/index.htm>
Also nearby is the FDR mansion <http://www.nps.gov/hofr/>

There's also a lot more which can be found on this page.
<http://www.thingstodo.com/states/NY/hudson_valley.htm>
Wish I had this page available when I lived there.  Sounds like a lot of
interesting stuff that I was unaware of then.

I haven't mentioned anything about the river which is central to many
attractions.  Also keep in mind that you've got the Catskill mountain
range across the river with lots of wonderful vistas and photo ops
<http://www.catskillregionguide.com/index.php>
and other things to see not mentioned in the previous link.

Also in Hyde Park (a bit north of Poughkeepsie) and not far from the
Vanderbilt and FDR mansions is the CIA (Culinary Institute of America)
<http://www.ciachef.edu/>  It is actually possible to eat there
<http://www.ciachef.edu/restaurants/default.asp> but the school has also
fostered the development of many excellent small restaurants in the
Hudson Valley.  Students decide they want to stay there after graduation
and open their own restaurants.  It's worth asking around if you'd like
to go for a really good meal.

ps:  Did you plan to camp outside Camtech's door while your camera is in
the 6-8 week long queue?