[OM] Re: Depth of field calculator

Subject: [OM] Re: Depth of field calculator
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:52:29 -0700 (PDT)
I built a set of tables for the 2/3" sensor on my site.  I've
been planning on doing the same for 4/3" sensor.  However, I
haven't quite come to grips with the CoF as the commonly used
CoF for 4/3 isn't quite matching what I want to see.

Another factor about modern telecentric lens designs is that the
bokeh characteristics aren't linear as you'd find in a 40/2,
35/2.8, 85/2 or 100/2.8. The 14-54 ZD lens, for instance, has an
apparant "zone of in-focus" whereas a traditional lens has a
"plane of in-focus". In a traditional lens, an OOF highlight
will continue to expand and dim the farther out of focus it
becomes. With a modern lens, an OOF highlight will expand a
smaller amount and will tend to stay just as bright.  The "goal"
among many lens designers is to create a deep-focus lens by
getting perfectly telecentric "rays".

In otherwords, the DoF tables for 4/3 isn't quite as
straightforward as we think.

AG

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com