[OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible

Subject: [OM] Re: Cell phones/Italy, as far OT as possible
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:05:07 +0100
Jez Cunningham wrote:

> As a Brit living a few km from Leuven I can't decide which is
> worse.  At least Belgium doesn't have points on the licence yet
> so it's just the 150-odd euros that hurt when you find that
> envelope in the mailbox (for doing 10-20km/h above the limit
> - it's gets progressively more expensive).

I don't personally have a problem with paying a fine for exceeding
arbitrary speed limits. It's just a tax on driving fast: it's really no
different to paying more for a fast car in the first place.

What I object to is the prospect of having one's livelihood taken away,
etc., just for driving at a speed in excess of the arbitrary number some
bureaucrat decided to paint on a tin sign. I have no problem with a
points system for dangerous driving, but speed limits have very little,
if anything at all, to do with road safety.

Regards,

Simon