[OM] USA Grand Prix

Subject: [OM] USA Grand Prix
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:55:16 +0100 (BST)
Mike,
    I really must take issue with you on a number of
points.
 I agree Michelin got it wrong in tyre selection.
So where do we go from there?
Unpredictable exploding tyres are bad news for drivers
and spectators...can we really ask drivers to risk
their own lives and that of spectators when the
problem is known?

Option 1 Michelin shod cars drive at much slower
speeds. This in itself presents a danger as MUCH
faster cars close on them. Would fans be happy with
the uncompetetive nature of this?

Option 2 Introduce chicane. Cars slow, less stress on
banked section which caused all the problems.
Would NOT disadvantage Bridgesone runners as...
1 Michelin cars would start behind Bridgestone runners
2 Michelin cars would NOT be racing for points!
3 Fans would see competitive racing.

Michelin took a hard, but honest decision to advise
teams not to race on grounds of safety, what else
could they do?

If ,as you say it is impossible to set up a chicane
and car in one day why did seven teams agree to it?
So where is the disadvantage to Bridgestone?  What am
I missing?
Only one team refused chicane, Ferrari. They along
with Max Mosely must shoulder a lot of the blame for
the farce which could destroy F1 in North America.
PS. Not trying to be confrontational, just a very
disappointed Williams supporter

Regards
  John Duggan,
     Wales, UK