[OM] Re: Thymerosol and autism, was: anything but

Subject: [OM] Re: Thymerosol and autism, was: anything but
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:05:24 -0400
R. Jackson wrote:
> The biggest problem with this Thymerosol issue is that the CDC and
> the FDA have kept a lid on it and that's prevented any kind of
> exhaustive peer review. Whether that was to prevent "panic" or to
> shield Eli Lilly from litigation remains to be seen, but it deserves
> investigation, IMO.
----------------------------
My suspicion is that it was probably done for both reasons but there
doesn't have to be a right wing business controlled conspiracy to
explain it.

"Panic" was a reasonable outcome (as evidenced by the reactions of my
own kids with respect to their toddlers) and shielding Lilly from
litigation is probably reasonable as well.  Litigation wouldn't kill
Lilly but could easily dissuade them from producing more vaccines.  As
we all discovered in the recent flu vaccine panic in the US, vaccine
makers are in short supply since the business is precarious from a
profit standpoint.  Much more money to be made constructing drugs for
newly invented maladies that have to be taken every day.

But, I'm really getting off my main point.  While I'm more than willing
to concede that most of the drug industry is probably a bunch of bad
guys there doesn't seem to be any valid scientific reason I know of to
suspect Thymerosol of the increase in autism.  As I said, statistical
association is far from cause and effect.  My advice to my own kids was
to not worry about it and have the kids vaccinated.

ps:  And peer review amongst a bunch of folks with the same vested
intersts ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Chuck Norcutt