[OM] Re: Slow Food, was: Re: Re: The journey to work - electrically/ Now

Subject: [OM] Re: Slow Food, was: Re: Re: The journey to work - electrically/ Now salmon
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:27:21 -0700
Earl Dunbar wrote:

>OK, this gets my attention.  The slow food (and slow city) movement is
>very interesting and, IMO, significant. Things are just too rushed, too
>fast,

Not in my life. I've tried to emulate the local Perfect Master, our cat,
but I just can't manage to sleep over 18 hours a day like she does. I
do, hovever have numerous witnesses who will swear that I am about as
slow, although some will have others words for it  :-) , as they have
ever met in most aspects of my life.

>and digicams are a symptom of such.

And yet, I like digicams, as well as film. One can take just as much
time setting up shots, and enjoy them just as much, no matter which way
you take them. In fact, one of the best things about digital is that I
don't have to make two trips to the photo shop. That's two less errands,
and contributes significantly to the slow pace of my life. If digital
somehow took as long as film processing, but didn't require the driving
around, I'd still think it was superior i at least that regard.

>When did thought and care go out of style?

Oh come on! People have been asking that question at least since the
ancient Greeks. You just don't like digital, and that's more than reason
enough to avoid it. No need to make it all part of some evil conspiracy
to ruin everyone's quality of life.

I think it has improved my quality of life and made photography more fun
than it has been in ages. That it does not do so for you is part of the
wonder of human diversity. I won't pick on you for your preferrence, how
about leaving me mappily to mine.

>Question:  what are YOUR favourite slow food spots?

1. My kitchen table.

2. Pretty much anywhere the food is good, the atmosphere isn't icky or
frenetic and they don't try to rush you. That's really quite a lot of
places. Of course, I only live a few blacks from where Alice Waters grew
up and not very far from ground central of the food movement she started.

>Earl, ducking again.

Quack, quack. :-)

Moose