[OM] Re: Slow Food, was: Re: Re: The journey to work - electrically/ Now

Subject: [OM] Re: Slow Food, was: Re: Re: The journey to work - electrically/ Now salmon
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:36:06 -0400
Moose wrote:

>Earl Dunbar wrote:
>

>>OK, this gets my attention.  The slow food (and slow city) movement is
>>very interesting and, IMO, significant. Things are just too rushed, too
>>fast,
>>

>Not in my life. I've tried to emulate the local Perfect Master, our cat,
>but I just can't manage to sleep over 18 hours a day like she does. I
>do, hovever have numerous witnesses who will swear that I am about as
>slow, although some will have others words for it  :-) , as they have
>ever met in most aspects of my life.

LOL... I have 3 Perfect Masters here; one is quite old and accomplished
at slowness.  The other two are only about a year old, so have long
spurts of frenetic play.  They're a hoot, and even their rambunctious
play shows me how to relax.

>>and digicams are a symptom of such.
>>

>And yet, I like digicams, as well as film. One can take just as much
>time setting up shots, and enjoy them just as much, no matter which way
>you take them. In fact, one of the best things about digital is that I
>don't have to make two trips to the photo shop. That's two less errands,
>and contributes significantly to the slow pace of my life. If digital
>somehow took as long as film processing, but didn't require the driving
>around, I'd still think it was superior i at least that regard.
>

>>When did thought and care go out of style?
>>

>Oh come on! People have been asking that question at least since the
>ancient Greeks. You just don't like digital, and that's more than reason
>enough to avoid it. No need to make it all part of some evil conspiracy
>to ruin everyone's quality of life.

Not true!... I DO like digital ... I just haven't found the right
combination of elements (camera, sensor, workflow) that is comfortable
and productive for me.  (Unrelated:  my TV signal of choice is digital
satellite.  Yeah, the sound is not hi fi, but its general purpose is not
hi fi music delivery.  But all things considered for me, it works very
well.  I still don't care for CDs vs. vinyl, BUT, I don't have an SACD
player.  I've read that SACD surpasses vinyl, and I've heard some 41K
CDs that were very well done and quite enjoyable.)

The genesis of digital was largely twofold: to make photography easier
and faster.  In some respects it has done both, but I'm not sure it's
=better= for the kind of stuff I like to do, and the kind of look I
excpect in prints.  Remember, I am primarily a B&W photographer, so seek
the best monochrome file out of the camera that I can get.

The "thought and care" comment was intentional, to get a reaction. ;-)
Yes, the question has been asked forever, that doesn't mean it's not a
valid question.  I am not blindly doing the nostalgia thing.  And there
are lots of thoughful, careful people of all ages out there.  I'm pretty
damned impressed with my son's generation on the whole.  But when my
daughter expressed a real interest in photography, I got her an OM2 and
50/1.8.  Takes thought and care to learn the basics, the foundation.
Could she do that with a digicam?  Sure.  Would it be the "best" way?
Not IMO, by a long stretch. Others may disagree, and that's fine.

BTW, what I don't like is the condescenion of many (no one in this
group) toward analog photography.  "That's not a digital camera?  Do
they still make those?  Can you still get film for that?"  Sheesh.

>I think it has improved my quality of life and made photography more fun
>than it has been in ages. That it does not do so for you is part of the
>wonder of human diversity. I won't pick on you for your preferrence, how
>about leaving me mappily to mine.

Not picking on you or anyone.  A huge part of marketing of digital
photography is centred on speed.  Granted, most of the marketing is not
really targeted at folks like us; it can't be, since the industry
depends on high volume, lower end digicams, not the sale of dSLRs.

>>Question:  what are YOUR favourite slow food spots?
>>

>1. My kitchen table.
>
>2. Pretty much anywhere the food is good, the atmosphere isn't icky or
>frenetic and they don't try to rush you. That's really quite a lot of
>places. Of course, I only live a few blacks from where Alice Waters grew
>up and not very far from ground central of the food movement she started.

You're fortunate.  We have some good places here, but I've not explored
all to discover how rich or poor we are in the slow food culture.

>>Earl, ducking again.
>>

>Quack, quack. :-)
>
>Moose

Waddle waddle.