[OM] Re: Problems with OM 40

Subject: [OM] Re: Problems with OM 40
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:23:58 -0700
rainer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi zuikists,
>perhaps the following is a known problem:
>My OM40 does a very decent job in bright light, the esp funktion works
>as it should. But as soon as I try to shoot indoors with high speed film
>(without flash), severe undereposure  occurs. Any ideas for a remedy?
>Batteries were fresh SR44s.

Three possible problem types possibly mixed here, and knowing more about
which it is would make diagnosis easier:

1. It sounds like one thing you are saying is that it exposes properly
with slower film and improperly with fast film? If you are using the
auto DX film speed setting, this coud be nothing more than a dirty or
damaged contact or other malfunction in DX reading. This is something
you can easily test by comparing the exposure in the viewfinder to that
of a known good body or separate meter. If EDX doesn't work and manual
setting does, you know what to do. :-)

Or is it that it exposes properly at higher shutter speeds and not at
slower speeds? That sounds like it would need pro help.

Are you using ESP in both cases? Have you tried regular averaging
metering on the indoor shots? I may be wrong, but I believe they work
quite differently in auto mode, as do spot and average on the OM-4
bodies. In average mode, exposure is TTL OTF. In ESP, I believe a fixed
exposure is set just before the shutter is actually released. ESP works
by comparing central and peripheral brightness (and average ?). The
manual says the main subject must be near the center of the frame for it
to work properly. Maybe it gets fooled by odd brightness patterns in
indoors situations? Maybe it just isn't as sensitive as regular TTL OTF?
Maybe it just doesn't work properly in low light on your example? In any
case, I would try some indoor shots without ESP.

May we assume you are not using Program Mode?

Moose