[OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole

Subject: [OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:03:06 +0000
I find using the "Y" yoke generally every bit as sturdy and far more convenient
than actually physically attaching the camera or lens to the 'pod via the
screw, much less to a ball head.  That way the camera is normally hung around
my neck or off my shoulder and ready for action, including accommodating the
sudden inclination to drop to the ground and shoot a 3-inch tall wildflower or
a strange insect, while also leaving the walking stick free to be used as a
walking stick.  Just about any lens physically longer than, say, a 50mm has
ample length to fit comfortably into the fork of the yoke, resulting in almost
unlimited freedom of movement in any direction, while still providing the
support a monopod is supposed to.

I will confess to having attached a small Cullmann ball head to my Stoney Point
a couple of times before it dawned on me that there was a better way.  At
least, it's a better way for me.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from