[OM] Re: Help! Can't open OM2 door; broke a part

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Can't open OM2 door; broke a part
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:32:02 -0700
Gary Teller wrote:

>Help!!!

Calm down, it'll be OK.

>I just finished a roll and after rewinding I can not get the door
>open.  Pulling up the rewind crank housing doesn't engage the
>locking/unlocking mechanism. I don't feel that springy extra quarter inch
>or so of travel.  Tried some moderate pulling force to no effect.  Tried
>removing the door by the hinge pins but don't have enough
>clearance.  Anyone have this problem before and know how to resolve it?

Never had the problem, but I know how to get the back open without
damage to anything. Remove the two small, hard to see, cross point
screws underneath the rewind crank. With the crank handle flipped open,
align the opening it fits into into over each screw. This releases that
side of the top plate. Gently, pull up the end of the top plate until it
shows a narrow opening into the space under it. The release is straight
up from the front half of the end of the body. A small screwdriver or
some such pushed fairly straight up will operate the release. It's a
pretty big, horizontal plate and easy to reach, takes almost no force. I
just did this on a body, to test my recollection, in about 2 minutes, if
that.

>In my frustration my brain took leave of my head while I was trying to
>figure this out.  I thought removing the rewind crank housing and the black
>plastic part beneath it that surrounds the spindle would perhaps give me
>another angle of attack.  I began by attempting to remove the small screw
>that rests beneath the fold out crank.  As soon as I broke it off my brain
>returned and reminded me that I'd seen a posting some time ago from a list
>member cautioning another member not to try removing this screw.  The brain
>then told the stomach to begin pumping more acid so as to cause immediate
>heartburn.  What exactly is the purpose of this screw and its head that I
>broke off?  How will its being broken affect the function of the rewind
>crank and crank housing?

It is, I think, a left hand thread screw. The only purpose I can see for
it is to panic would be repairers who try to open their camera body.
Doesn't make any differene to function that I can see whether it is
there or the head is broken off or not. It never needs to be removed for
disassembly of the rewind mechanism.

>I just want my roll of film.  Any and all suggestions other than using
>brute force to pry the door off are needed and welcomed.

See above and you will soon have your film safe and sound.

As to the camera, sonds like the release collar is broken or has slipped
above the release arm. Nothing major to repair, although may require a
donor body.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Gary

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"There is increasing concern, I think, that something not registered on the Net
will not be seen as existing."

Andras Bozoki,
Hungarian Culture Minister