[OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole

Subject: [OM] Re: Hiking (trekking) pole
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:51:07 -0400

Moose wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>

>>I also note that adding the Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 Swivel Tilt Monopod
>>Head suggested by Moose almost doubles the weight.
>>

>>and the head weighs 9.5 oz.
>>

> Huh? I just weighed mine - 8 oz. Not a big difference, but why different?

Specs on B&H.  Maybe that includes the box and marketing blurbs.

>>I just checked my current Manfrotto monopod with quick release ball head
>>attached and it checks in at 40 oz.
>>

> Wow! Tripod company monopods do tend to be heavier, but my Velbon is
> only 17 oz. Is your weight mostly head (tripod, that is)? The Velbon
> 343e tripod, with its small but usable head, only weighs 32 oz.  With
> the bigger Velbon head, it would still weigh less than your Manfrotto
> monopod/head setup.
The ball head is the Manfrotto 308 RC quick release which was originally
on my tripod.  Put there because I didn't have any other head for it.
The Manfrotto monopod looks like it would support a 4x5 camera.  That's
why I'd like to find something lighter.

Chuck Norcutt