[OM] Re: (Fwd) eBay***eBay Billing updates***

Subject: [OM] Re: (Fwd) eBay***eBay Billing updates***
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:19:53 -0500
At 07:23 AM 6/26/2005, George S. wrote (in part):

>2.- roll your cursor (don't click) over the "From" address in the message
>header, and you'll see some very long, definitely not ebay, address.

This must be in some specific mail reader (MS Outlook or Outlook
Express?).  Doesn't work that way in Eudora or Netscape.  Usually this
advice is give for the "go here to verify or update . . . "
hyperlink.  That usually displays an obviously bogus URL (provided one
knows what tricks are used), but not always.  The more sophisticated ones
are encoded to "mouse-over" display what appears to be a legitimate URL in
the bottom status bar and keep the real hyperlink concealed.  I've seen a
couple of these.

Best advice is not to follow any hyperlink in any email asking to verify or
update any information.  Go directly there in your browser by typing in a
legit URL.

Email addresses for forwarding phishing email to eBay and PayPal:
   eBay:  spoof@xxxxxxxx
   PayPal:  spoof@xxxxxxxxxx
However . . . they need **all** the email headers that show the entire path
of the email to do anything with them . . . which quite sadly, Bill Gates
and the Netscape developers have seen fit to make extremely difficult to
access . . . nor do they forward this data when forwarding an email.  I
still use Eudora Pro which makes them visible with the rest of the email
message.  I remain dumbfounded why any creator of an SMTP mail reader would
deliberately make accessing the complete headers nearly impossible as what
is normally displayed can be so easily spoofed that a 5-year old
kiddy-scripter can do it blindfolded.

-- John Lind