[OM] Re: Scans

Subject: [OM] Re: Scans
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:47:49 -0700
Titoy wrote:

>Sorry, would would be good examples of good 4000 dpi home film scanners?

Discontinued, but still very capable if acquired used:
Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED
Canon FS4000US
Polaroid Sprintscan 4000

Current:
Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED

Konica Minolta didn't make a 4000 dpi scanner, but makes the:
Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV - 3200 dpi
Konica-Minolta 5400-II - 5400, replaces the plain Minolta 5400

The Nikons and the 5400s have digital ICE and the Canon has FARE. These
are hardware/software dust removal systems and far superior to any
software alone dust removal. The hardware scans in the IR region, which
identifies dust, many scratches, etc. for the software to remove. I
don't remember if the Polaroid had IR dust removal.

None of these scanners is without minor weaknesses, all are very
capable. Issues I recall off hand are: Nikons have had issues with DOF
with film that isn't pretty flat and with flare. The Canon is SCSI only,
not a performance issue, but it requires a SCSI card, which may add to
the cost. There is no support at all for the Polaroid. The Minolta 5400
didn't seem to resolve any more detail than the 4000 dpi scanners. I
don't know about the 5400 II.

After extensive research, I concluded the Canon FS4000 was the best
overall performer, purchased a used one, and believe I made the right
choice. Others will have other opinions and experiences.

You might also consider the high end flatbed scanners with film scanning
capability. The Canon 9950F and Epson 4870 and 4490 come quite close to
the resolution of a dedicated 4000 dpi film scanner. The reviews on
photo-i are particularly useful <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/>.

Moose