[OM] Re: The Gimp

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:05:56 -0300
On 6/27/05, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My two favorites are the "25% Resize" (it resizes and sharpens
> in one step) and the "Old Photo".
>
> The Gimp also does one of the best jobs at JPEG compression I've
> found too.  I can usually squeeze the file another 25% beyond
> what I can get with PWP or other editors.

Personally, I tend to do all my jpeg conversions using ImageMagick
because it has great Perl tie-ins (PerlMagick) which lets me do feed a
Perl script a full-size TIFF (or a directory of full-size TIFFS) and
have it re-size them and convert to jpeg for my website. I find the
jpeg compression is extremely efficient in that as well, probably
using the same library that The GIMP uses.