[OM] Re: The Magic Boxes are on their way

Subject: [OM] Re: The Magic Boxes are on their way
From: Stephen Walker <stephenpwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:13:01 -0700 (PDT)
I don't remember Mr. Scales original generous offer,
but here's an idea:

1) Divide the goods into lots as you see fit.

2) Interested parties make a 'best offer' bid directly
to you (no competitive bidding, one bid per person).

3) All proceeds, after shipping costs, go to the
charity of Tom Scale's choosing.

Of course, I have no idea what i'm talking about --
perhaps the "good" have little or no monetary value,
and this is a crazy idea.

--- "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I don't know if many remember late last year when
> Tom Scales offered to
> give away a whole bunch of OM-related stuff that he
> had collected for the
> cost-of-shipping.  But he's found the time in
> between caring for his wife
> and earning a living to pack up and ship me five
> boxes of goodies.  I
> didn't ask him for an inventory, so I don't know
> exactly what's coming next
> week after I return from my mini-vacation.
>
> In any case, the general premise for distribution is
> that all the items
> will be free or perhaps a nominal amount for
> something like a lens, etc.,
> plus shipping, which will be by the easiest method
> that I can fine, likely
> Priority Mail in the US (free boxes) and Uninsured
> Air Mail overseas.  I'll
> probably add a modest fee of $.50 or $1.00 ea on top
> to reimburse Tom for
> his shipping cost and hassle.  I'll probably use
> PayPal for the preferred
> method, which might entail something extra there too
> for my OOP fees.
>
> To make everything more even, this is how I'd
> propose that we dole this
> stuff out  Asking for "the first email" isn't really
> fair, IMO.  What do
> you "guys" think about some sort of lottery system
> for the most desirable
> items, and some sort of limit on the other items.
> I'll do a rating like A,
> B, C that takes into account desirability and value,
> and one person can
> only buy multiples of one class after everyone has
> had a chance.  I'll work
> out some sort of system, but I'd like some feedback
> first.  I may bundle
> some stuff into lots too.
>
> Skip

> http://mail2web.com/ .