[OM] Re: Computer monitor settings for image viewing

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer monitor settings for image viewing
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:42:21 -0700
Hi Brian,

Briefly: Fernando's image in the last TOPE looks as I would expect it
to, based on his description. Yours, however, looks like some of my
images do if I overdo lightening the image in Photoshop in attempting to
compensate for a segment of the image having scanned too dark.
Especially in the darker areas of the image, one starts to get this sort
of "photocopier effect" where saturation drops out unevenly. I wouldn't
go so far as to say your image resembles the dog's breakfast, but it
does look from here like it's been lightened a bit too much.

When preparing my own images for the web, I usually try and compare them
to a print or the slide where I can. However, the comparison is always
inexact due to the differing gamuts of printed image, slide, and RGB
display. More important, IMHO, is attempting to produce an image that
appears perceptually correct, as opposed to "technically correct".

As someone else mentioned, one's ability to see the "correct" images
on-screen is very dependent on the calibration of one's monitor. I have
used Wayne Harridge's step-wedge to check for gray-scale settings on my
monitor on occasion, and have found that if I have that right, then
tweaking in the color is simply a matter of personal taste. Color
perception is highly dependent on one's local conditions: room lighting
temperature, percentage of light from windows, monitor settings,
reflectivity of objects in the vicinity... But if the gray-scale
settings are right, IMO, at least the overall perception of various
images will be equally degraded as to color :-)

---
Scott Gomez