[OM] Re: Questions about polarizing filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about polarizing filters
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:44:01 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 30 June, 2005 09:54 AM

> Gary,
> 1) No exposure compensation is needed as both these cameras meter through
the lens and thus through the polarizer.

It is useful to know that a polarizer has a filter factor of 2.5 which
translates into an increase in exposure of ~ 1 and 1/3 stops. This increases
applies regardless of the degree of orientation of the of the filter.

> 2) A circular polarizer can be used on any OM, but is only "needed" on the
models with 1/2 silvered mirrors (2SP, 3, 4). I say "needed" because these
cameras will expose properly with either the circ. or linear polarizer but
will give an incorrect meter value in the viewfinder if used with  the
linear polarizer.

> 3)Neutral density (if you forget and bring the high speed film). That sand
down there is really white.

Another point is that the degree of polarization is the greatest when the
lens axis is 90 degrees to the sun.