[OM] Re: Discounted E-1s?

Subject: [OM] Re: Discounted E-1s?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:13:49 -0300
On 7/12/05, om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In this context, "larger" means more pixels in the same space.  Obviously
> the sensor size is fixed.

That's what I figured you meant but wanted to double check.

> I'm afraid that Foveon's days are numbered in the DSLR market, unless their
> next-generation product is a real killer.  The limitations of the Sigma
> SD9/10 implementation are proving to restrict its wide acceptability.  And
> Sigma's commitment to the 4/3 standard is minimal, at best.  They've only
> introduced a few, low, low end lenses, keeping their pro-quality glass for
> N/C or their own mount.

I wonder how much of Foveon's lack of sucess is due to their
technology or the partnership with Sigma. Sigma's film SLR's weren't
exactly killer products either. I think the potential is there to
offer a good product if it were packaged in a better DSLR body.
Granted the low overall pixel count doesn't help them either. Where
they have an exclusive deal with Sigma that ties their sensor
development to whenever Sigma wants to release a new body. That's
where I see Olympus' ability to produce good bodies as having the
potential to produce something really good. Since they're already
partnered with Sigma they should be able to do some kind of
arrangement for Olympus to be supplied with X3 sensors. Granted, both
Kodak and Fuji are 4/3 partners as well so that may be what's keeping
this from happening.

I'd definitely like to see some 3rd party lens manufacturers get
onboard the system. As you said, Sigma has a few offerings but not
many. It would do a lot to improve teh outlook for long-term viability
of the system.