[OM] Gear heads tend to be male, was: Discounted E-1s?

Subject: [OM] Gear heads tend to be male, was: Discounted E-1s?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:27:00 -0400
Michael Kopp wrote:
>(I _have_ detected a dearth of the better halves on this list -- why is that?)

Although we are all photographers on this list the real intent of the
list is to service the curiousity of gear heads.  I'm sure I'll be
charged with sexism but, although women do excellent photography, women
are simply much less likely to be gear heads.

I know four female professional photographers all of whom are better
photographers than I am.  Three of them seem to (mostly) understand
their equipment but are rather indifferent toward it.  The fourth, and
probably the best photographer, seems to only barely understand how the
equipment works.  She knows how to work a meter and set the camera to
match but doesn't have a clue about what's actually going on.  Doesn't
matter.  She shoots great pictures.

All three use C*n*n or N*k*n gear but what they use is what someone told
them to buy.  Neither of them has done any in-depth study of the
strengths or weaknesses of what they use or done serious comparison with
other equipment.  They don't care.  What they've got does the job.

Perhaps I need a larger corpus callosum.  Maybe I'd focus less on gear
and more on taking good photographs.

Chuck Norcutt