[OM] Re: Fast B&W film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Fast B&W film?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:40:31 -0300
On 7/12/05, Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, it's better to be a geek, uncool, or whatever, and get the shot
> captured/processed well than to be at the bleeding edge.  I am used to
> Tri-X @ 200 in HC-110 in my sleep, with great results; I never believed
> in the "effective film speed depends on developer" school  Zone III
> detail is Zone III detail, and if you ain't got it, it's an exposure
> issue, not a developer issue, IM.  Now that Tri-X has changed, it's
> apparently a true 400, I don't have a workflow for it.  I have one or
> two rolls exposed at 400, and I'll probably soup one in Rodinal 1:50 and
> one in DD-X 1:4 and see what it looks like.

Personally, I've been shooting new Tri-X at 320 and have been happy
with the density of the negs.

As for effective film speed, I have some Diafine in the basement that
I'm meaning to mix up. It's a 2 bath developer that gives a speed
increase with many films. EV for old Tri-X is listed as 1000-1250. I'm
going to try some new Tri-X with it at speeds of 800 and up and see
how they look.