[OM] Re: Gear heads tend to be male, was: Discounted E-1s?

Subject: [OM] Re: Gear heads tend to be male, was: Discounted E-1s?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:15:15 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Although we are all photographers on this list the real intent of the
>list is to service the curiousity of gear heads.

I thought we weren't supposed to let that elephant out of the closet! :-)

>I'm sure I'll be charged with sexism but, although women do excellent
>photography, women are simply much less likely to be gear heads.

Some are just smarter than we are. My SO started trying to learn how to
use a camera better, then discovered the perfect solution. She takes me
along, and when she sees something she likes, she points it out and I
dutifully photograph it. the ultimate in automation!

>I know four female professional photographers all of whom are better
>photographers than I am.  Three of them seem to (mostly) understand
>their equipment but are rather indifferent toward it.  The fourth, and
>probably the best photographer, seems to only barely understand how the
>equipment works.  She knows how to work a meter and set the camera to
>match but doesn't have a clue about what's actually going on.  Doesn't
>matter.  She shoots great pictures.
>
>All three use C*n*n or N*k*n gear but what they use is what someone told
>them to buy.  Neither of them has done any in-depth study of the
>strengths or weaknesses of what they use or done serious comparison with
>other equipment.  They don't care.  What they've got does the job.

Yeah, I've posted before about the girlfriend I had with the old Pent*x
match needle SLR and 50mm lens, which was what someone had recommended
to her year before. Not a clue how it worked in the technical sense, but
what an eye! She had shots from Tibet, Greece, etc. that rivaled the
best I've ever seen. Funny thing was, she didn't how good they really were.

>Perhaps I need a larger corpus callosum.  Maybe I'd focus less on gear and
>more on taking good photographs.

And is the one really "better" than the other?

Moose