[OM] Re: Fast B&W film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Fast B&W film?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:27:03 -0300
On 7/13/05, Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've heard that Diafine (and its clones) _does_ give effective film
> speed increase.  I have never tested it myself, and the samples I've
> seen on the web weren't terribly impressive.  But judging on the web is
> hardly meaningful, at least IMO.  For me, the proof is in the print.
> Maybe some day I'll try it.  One other attraction is claimed to be the
> ability to process all films (at Diafine's suggested speed) at the same
> processing times.

Yeah for me it's a situation of reading a bit about it online and then
discovering that I had some of it in the stash of darkroom chemicals I
have so I figure I may as well mix it up and try it. From what I read,
it tends to work better in contrasty lighting because the developer
has a compensating effect which helps prevent the highlights from
blowing out. If I give it a try I'll be sure to pass along my
thoughts.