[OM] Re: #220

Subject: [OM] Re: #220
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:06:49 -0700

On Jul 13, 2005, at 11:26 PM, Moose wrote:

> LOL.!  And April didn't have a videocam, or at least a digicam with
> movie mode? What a loss!

I was alone on the SF to LA drive. If she'd been there the photos
would have been flying via email to everyone she knows. ;-)

> Last time I stopped in Bakersfield for gas, it was 108 deg. out and
> felt
> hotter on the asphalt. The heat would have dropped an ox. I think and
> bees were in hiding.

Yeah, I honestly don't know how the people who live there do it. A
couple of years ago I was driving through the valley and the trunk
got so hot the amp for my car stereo had a thermal shutdown on me. I
had to fold the back seat down and crank the AC to keep the stereo on
(at any volume).

> Seriously, though, we have bumblebees about in the yard all the
> time and
> sit out there and read, check eyelids for pinhole leaks, etc. all the
> time too. Honey bees will occasionally come around and check a person
> out, rarely to the point of annoyance, but the bumblebees act as
> though
> we simply don't exist. They sitck to their business with the
> flowers and
> leave us completely alone. I really like them.

I've never been stung by one, but when I was about 10 my mother
picked an apple and I don't know if the bee was on the apple or on
the branch or just miffed at the movement, but it stung mom on the
ear and chased us all the way to the house. It banged on the screen
door repeatedly for about a minute after we all made it inside.
Scared me to death. Mom had a nasty reaction to the sting and her
neck all started changing colors. I think that's probably at the root
of my bumble-bee terrors. Her doctor suggested that maybe her hair
spray set it off. I have no hair, so very little change of that
happening to me, but still... ;-)