[OM] Re: old hoods just fade away

Subject: [OM] Re: old hoods just fade away
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:08:21 +0000
The wider the lens, the less useful, or necessary, a lens hood becomes.  By the
time you get down to a 21mm lens on a 35mm camera, a lens hood is about as
useful as mudflaps on a Miata.  I've got the official, genuine,
you-can't-get-one-anymore Olympus clamp-on hood for the 21/2.  I don't like
clamp-on hoods, particularly those that are pretty much useless anyway, and
since I have an old Tiffen 55mm screw-in wide angle hood, that's what I use
with the 21/2.  One's as good as the other'n, and neither's worth as much as
just using your hat, but screwing beats the hell out of clamping most any day.

I'm going to hold onto the REAL, GENUINE 21/2 hood until I can sell it to one
of these C*n*n poachers for at least $100.  :-)

Oh, by the way, my 21/2 is definitely not for sale.  But I'll consider any
offer when the first number is a 3, preceded by a $ sign and followed by a
comma.  Includes free shipping to anywhere in the US of A.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --