[OM] Re: Any Sunpak experts out there???

Subject: [OM] Re: Any Sunpak experts out there???
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:48:41 -0700
>Anyone in the group consider themselves experts on Sunpak flashes, in

>particular the ones that take various dedicated control modules? I

>have a couple of Sunpak 433D flashes dedicated to the OM system, and

>they all work pretty much like a true Olympus flash in terms of flash

>ready/auto confirmation in the view finder. I recently invested in a

>DX-8R and a couple of 444D units, with associated OT-1D control

>modules, and am a little confused with their behavior... the Ring

>Flash came first, and though the instructions seem to suggest that

>the OT-1D control module DOES NOT support auto confirmation in the

>viewfinder, this seems to actually occur on my OM-4T (but not on an

>OM-2S). Next came a 444D, and a couple of OT-1D modules, one of which

>doesn't seem to work at all in TTL mode - the flash just does a full

>dump every time. This Control Module has a yellow ring around the

>computer flash sensor. The other OT-1D, which has a lime green ring

>around the sensor port, seems to work, but the auto check lamp on the

>body of the flash ALWAYS lights, even if a lens cap is in place! So

>the question is, how is the 444D/OT-1D module combination supposed to

>work? Should I get auto confirmation in the viewfinder, or not? And,

>is the ring color difference of any significance?

I've got a couple of Lester Dine ring flashes that use the Sunpak control
head including the OT-1D.  I only

Use them in TTL mode.  The do indicate flash ready and the blinking
confirmation for correct exposure.

The only problem I've encountered was mounting the unit on a T20 connector.
When you tighten down the clamp

It causes the contacts to disconnect.  The same amount of tightening on the
shoe of the OM4 and OM4t did

Not cause the problem.  I got a couple of other OT-1D's and all exhibited
that same symptom.

Jay Drew

Hand me my costume

Please won't you pass me my mask

I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets