[OM] MOving picture cameras

Subject: [OM] MOving picture cameras
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:43:20 -0500
(note change of subject line)

Walt,

Well, no one was shooting at me, but I did shoot a 70 something, DR I think,
in the very early seventies. I shot newsfilm, mostly silent. We were all
issued the camera and three lenses, a Frezzi light, and a Spectra meter.
When we needed sound, we checked out the one sound-on camera, some kind of
optical sound camera that had been converted to mag stripe. I think someone
once used the B&H for self-defense. Fortunately, the Huston-Fearless was run
by a separate department.

As I look back on what we did, and what we see now, I'm depressed. Seems
that, at least locally, sound is mostly used for needless reporter
stand-ups. Oh, and the total lack of establishing shots is appalling.

And, Ron, we shot ektachrome. And yes, I was caught by the no-latitiude
monster a few times!

After I left the TV news business, I went to Public TV, where we had a
Bolex. I never really liked it as well!

Bill Pearce