[OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] OT (taken with digital camera)
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 02:08:03 -0700

On Jul 16, 2005, at 1:40 AM, Moose wrote:

> As Winsor's post points out, digital is different, and requires some
> mind set changes. In his case, the idea that zooms are at least as
> good
> as virtually all primes. In the case of the lens choice you are
> looking
> at, the change is about speed. All those and the other very fast
> lenses
> in the Can*n line-up are nice, but were primarily developed with the
> cnaracteristics of film in mind. With the Can*n DSLRs, speed just
> isn't
> such an issue for normal use. The DRebels have less noise/grain at iso
> 800 than film at iso 200 and the 20D is even better.

That's really an excellent point. I do think in terms of as much
speed as I can get and it is in large part because I'm used to
needing it.

> For what all that stuff costs, you could get an E-300 kit, a 300D and
> the two above lenses, use them until it's clear which system works
> best
> for you, sell the other, and come out way ahead in $$. Then use the
> rest
> to buy a higher end body and/or more lenses for the system you choose.

Well, I could just as easily commit to the Olympus digital lineup.
That 50mm f2 Macro seems like a real keeper already and I can hardly
contain myself when I think about the 7-14mm f4. Maybe an E-300 and a
those two lenses would be a good way for me to test the waters.

As always, I really appreciate the insight. Sometimes I think talking
things like this through is more therapeutic than anything a shrink
could accomplish. ;-)

-Rob