[OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
> One interesting and very useful aspect of The Gimp, is that
> the jpg files
> resulting from a re-size are incredibly small.

The GIMP is my axe of choice for prepping photos for my website.
 I can usually squeeze quite a bit of quality out of a pretty
small file.  You've got a lot of options to work with too--what
works for one photo may not for another.

On the scale of 1-10 when it comes to compression engines, I
give this one a 9.  The second best I've used is in PWP and I
rank that as about a 7.5.  Adobe's is worthless, as far as I'm
concerned--maybe a 4.  Vuescan and Minolta are pretty bad, but
the one in Olympus Viewer is quite decent--possibly a 7.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs